Wednesday, May 3, 2006

ROASTED NUGGET POTATOES AND FENNEL

Best Blog Tips


Not really a recipe-- just a guide!

The original of this recipe is from Susan V's wonderful blog, Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. I've been wanting to try it since it was posted, but had to go shopping first. Susan used fingerling potatoes, but I couldn't find any, so I used those little baby nugget potatoes, the yellow ones.

I changed the recipe a somewhat, mostly in the cooking method. I used 1 lb. of nugget potatoes and 1 large fennel root (you could use celery root, or even celery) which I cut into chunks. I had half a large onion in the fridge, so I diced that up. I mixed everything in a shallow pan with the 1 cup broth Susan called for, and I roasted it in a 500 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, instead of braising it like Susan did. The broth cooked off and everything was starting to brown. I stirred it up gently, sprinkled it with some coarse salt that my daughter brought me from Mexico, and some freshly-ground pepper, and put the pan under the broiler for a few minutes, just to get a bit of a charred thing going-- not too much.

It was delicious, and totally fat-free. Thanks, Susan!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Guinnah said...

Those look wonderful! I love fennel :-)

Susan Voisin said...

Bryanna, your version looks to die for! I really like the idea of roasting them and will have to try this soon. Thanks!