Monday, October 13, 2014

WHAT *DO* VEGANS EAT FOR HOLIDAY MEALS?? 2014 CANADIAN THANKSGIVING FEAST AT THE GROGANS'

Best Blog Tips

What DO vegans eat for holiday meals??
The big rectangular pan holds my Tofu Pot Pie; bread and cornbread stuffing to the right; Pelka's "Wadorf-y" green salad above that; Sarah's mashed Comox Valley German Butter potatoes above that. Center right-- a trio of condiments-- orange-y homemade cranberry sauce, my homemade palm oil-free vegan "Buttah" and  vegan "ham" gravy, flanked by a platter of my roasted beets with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Above that is a platter of roasted local veggies, and beside that roasted home-grown cauliflower and red peppers.  At the top corner of the table is a butternut squash casserole; at the end of the table is my seitan "ham", and you can just see the corner of a glass bowl with lemon-almond green beans.  More description below!
We had a wonderful, relaxed afternoon vegan Thanksgiving feast at our house on Saturday, with good friends and family, 14 in all.  Alot of local produce was involved!  We're so thankful for the beauty and bounty of our island and the Comox Valley!


On the left: my stuffing (a mix of DH's wholewheat bread and my cornbread, with traditional herbs, onion and celery); Pelka's delicious, crunchy "Waldorf-y" salad (as she called it!)

My Tofu Pot Pie in the foreground (it's been a traditional holiday main dish since the 90's); my Cranberry Sauce on the right (I added orange rind, chopped orange and apple and some ginger, this year); and my roasted beets with olive oil and balsamic vinegar with parsley on the left.

 
David and Tanya's delicious lemony-almond green beans.

                                                     My seitan "ham"

 David and Tanya's delicious casserole of butternut squash from their garden, baked with garlic and parsley and olive oil and topped with toasted sesame and nutritional yeast "Parmesan".

 On the left, Holly's roasted cauliflower and red peppers (both from her garden); on the right, my stuffing (a mix of DH's whole wheat bread and my cornbread, with traditional herbs, onion and celery).

              Fireweed's  gorgeous roasted local veggie platter.

 Along with the homemade cranberry sauce (described above), my homemade palm oil-free vegan "Buttah" and Vegan "Ham" Gravy.

 And for dessert, along with So Delicious Coconut Non-Dairy Vanilla Bean Frozen Dessert, my Ginger Apple Crumb Pie, made with all Denman Island apples (Mutsus from our neighbors at Apple Lane Orchard, and large Russets from friend and guest, Holly).



Phoebe and Ringo got lots of lovin' from our guests and family (Sadie and Thelonious made themselves scarce!) and they were all worn out by the evening!


Happy Thanksgiving!




4 comments:

Lucille said...

It's an amazing spread, that's for sure. So colourful and everything looks so delicious!

Tanya said...

Our casserole was butternut squash from our garden not sweet potato :)

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Oops! Will correct-- it was so rich-tasting that I assumed it was sweet potato!

in2insight said...

It all looks so good, and no doubt tasted even better!
Happy Holiday!